There are very few breakfast items that I adore more than a good old fashioned egg sandwich. Y'all already know about my egg obsession though. I mean, it kinda sorta defines me. Give me an over-easy egg bundled up with some melty cheese, a couple of crispy pieces of maple bacon, and a savory spread of some sort...and I'll be in a great mood for the rest of the day.
So when The Happy Egg Co. asked me to use their delicious eggs in a Dash of Les original recipe, I had to oblige. The company is totally on my page with animal humanity and healthy eating too. Strictly a free-range egg consumer, I had used their eggs long before they reached out to me. Just some noteworthy facts for ya; these guys were the first to be recognized as a 100% free range egg company certified by Humane Animal Farm Care. Not surprising since their hens spend their days outdoors on an 8-acre pasture...living the good life. And word on the street is that the happiest hens lay the tastiest eggs.
What's an egg lovin' girl to do when she's created Chilaquiles, breakfast burritos, egg "muffins," and a plethora of other egg recipes for her blog? Well, she simply goes back to basics. But this wouldn't be just any egg sandwich. No, this egg sandwich would be fit for a queen.
Nestled between two thick, grilled slices of authentic French Brioche sits a flawlessly fried egg, melted Gruyere, a modest mound of baby arugula, and some of my sweet and savory bacon onion jam.
Guys, the combo is irresistible. Just ask my husband. I can't even remember the last time I saw him making love to his food like he did when he was devouring this sandwich. The sharp bite of the Gruyere, the rich, golden yolk oozing its goodness with every bite, the pillowy and oh, so buttery Brioche, the world-class bacon onion jam, and the peppery arugula standing its ground...I can't even. Well, yes, I actually can even. But if I couldn't even, it'd be because of this sandwich.
Make it this weekend...and make it with The Happy Egg if you're a picky egg consumer and animal lover like me. The hens will thank you and your palate will forever love you.
Brioche, Bacon Onion Jam, and Gruyere Egg Sandwich
2 thick slices French Brioche (I found some at Whole Foods)
1 Happy Egg Co. Egg
1 handful baby arugula
1 slice Gruyere cheese (Gouda, white cheddar, or Havarti would be great too)
2 tablespoons Bacon Onion Jam (recipe here)
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1) Turn on your oven's broiler.
2) Add 1/2 tablespoon butter or olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. (I use a brush to coat the bottom of the pan). When oil or butter are shimmering, crack an egg into the pan. Cook on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes and then turn heat down to low and cover for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove egg from heat when the white is completely cooked.
3) While the egg is cooking, bring a grill pan or cast iron pan to high-heat with the other 1/2 tablespoon butter or olive oil. Grill the slices of Brioche, for about 30 seconds on each side.
3) Spread the bacon jam onto one slice of Brioche. Top with arugula and egg.
4) Top the other slice of grilled Brioche with cheese and place on a pan. Put under the broiler for about one minute, or until cheese is melted. Then, remove from the oven and place on top of the other half of the sandwich.